Fuel poverty affects hundreds of thousands of UK households. In Blackburn with Darwen, there is more than 10,000 households currently tackling fuel poverty. Check out our Fuel Poverty Toolkit.
Tackling Fuel Poverty
The Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) published a consultation report in September 2019 – ‘Consultation on the Fuel Poverty strategy for England’. (Fuel poverty strategy for England: consultation (publishing.service.gov.uk) . In the report they highlighted eight areas to consult on in order to formulate a future policy/strategy to address and tackle fuel poverty.
The eight areas of tackling fuel poverty were –
- Improving energy efficiency standards in fuel poor homes
- Working together to help the fuel poor through partnership and learning
- Increasing effective targeting of fuel poor households
- Improving the reach of support for certain high cost homes
- Improving the reach of support to certain low income households
- Tackling the financial burden of energy bills for those on low incomes
- Ensuring the fuel poor are able to get maximum benefit from a fair and functioning energy market
- Enhancing and improving understanding of fuel poverty