Loan sharks are illegal money lenders and unregulated criminals.
Stop Loan Sharks
If you have been affected by loan sharks and require specialist support, please call the Stop Loan Sharks 24 Hour Helpline on 0300 555 2222.
Stop Loan Sharks investigate, prosecute and put loan sharks in prison. They are the only organisation in England who has the power to stop loan sharks and illegal money lenders.
Since 2004, they have gotten over 25,000 people safely away from loan sharks.
Some of the warning signs to watch out for that a lender is acting illegally are:
- Giving you no paperwork or agreement on a loan
- Refusing to give you information about the loan
- Keeping items until the debt is paid, such as your passport or bank card
- Taking things from you if you don’t pay on time
- Adding more interest or charges so the debt never goes down
- Using intimidation or violence if you don’t pay
The Stop Loan Sharks team also seize the loan sharks’ assets and distribute some of the money as grants to community projects to raise awareness of loan sharks. If you have an idea for a community project then visit the website below where you will find further information and you can download an application form.